Useful expressions for the FCE/CAE speaking exam Part 3

Useful expressions for the FCE/CAE speaking exam Part 3
Tip 1
The examiner will explain the speaking task as he/ she gives the associated visual prompt to the candidates (to share). Students will need to concentrate on listening to the task, and make sure they are not distracted at this stage by the picture.
Tip 2
The question always has at least 2 parts, and students should try to answer both/ all parts. They can discipline themselves (or their partners) by saying ‘Perhaps we should move on and talk about…’ 
Tip 3
The worst thing in the exam is silence. 
Tip 4
Students should try to make sure the conversation is split 50/50 between the two students. If someone’s partner really won’t talk or let them talk, then it is only the uncooperative student that will be penalized. However, such an (unusual) circumstance is the best opportunity to show polite interruption and other turn-taking skills. 
Tip 5
The candidates are being marked on their ability to work their way towards a conclusion, even though they do not have to agree. This means argumentative students will need to learn to agree even when they don’t really, or ‘agree to disagree’. 
Tip 6
The language students often lack for this part of the exam is that of ‘polite disagreement’. This is also a matter of cultural awareness. It is very common in English to start disagreeing with language of agreement – ‘Yes but..’, ‘I see your point but..’, ‘I’d agree up to a point but..’
Expressions
  • Up to the problem in question …
  • The main problem centres around …
  • It’s my belief …
  • For my part …
  • As I see it …
  • As I was saying …
  • I forgot to mention …
  • I’m of the opinion that …
  • To my mind …
  • To my way of thinking …
  • I am convinced that …
  • I am inclined to believe that …
  • Don’t get me wrong but shouldn’t we … ?
  • Judging by … they must be …
  • … is a separate issue.
  • Moving on to …
  • Taking everything into account …
  • I couldn’t agree more.
  • I agree up to a point.
  • I think I see what you mean, but …
  • I’m in two minds about it. / I’m ambivalent about …
  • I don’t see eye to eye with you here …
  • That’s true in a way, I suppose, but …
  • I don’t feel convinced …
  • That’s one way of looking at it. On the other hand …
  • Can you take a clear stand on that matter?
  • It brings to the question / idea / problem of …
  • Perhaps we should put … first? What do you think?
  • A strong point in favour of … is that …
  • What do you think should go next?
  • Are you happy with this order then?
  • Do you go along with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment